We do this by carefully selecting our partners and working with them to ensure they meet our standards on ethical trade and labour.
Employee welfare is one of our priorities, so it’s important to us that our suppliers feel the same way.
Our policy is to only do business with suppliers that adopt and implement our standards, or have policies that reflect the same values. Our Code of Employment Standards for Suppliers reflects globally recognised labour standards, including the Ethical Trading Initiative’s Base Code. It requires Speedo suppliers to ensure that:
- Living wages are paid
- Working hours are not excessive
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour is not used
- Employment is freely chosen
- No discrimination is practised
- There is no harsh or inhumane treatment
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected (e.g. workers are free to join a trade union)
- Regular employment is provided.
- Unauthorized subcontracting is not permitted
We visit suppliers to monitor their performance against our standards. Where our assessments identify room for improvement, we work with suppliers to make positive changes, for example by sharing best practice and helping to provide resources and training. This way, we can do our bit to help safeguard the welfare of the people who make our products.