Here are some of the things we’re doing to reduce our products’ environmental impact
- Researching the water, waste and energy impactsof our swimwear and goggle products
- Giving our designers and suppliers the guidance they need to avoid the use of potentially harmful substances
- Improving manufacturing efficiency.
We recognise that the factory processes used to manufacture our products have an environmental impact, particularly through the energy they use and the waste and wastewater they generate. So we’re taking steps to better understand these impacts and work with our suppliers to create a more efficient manufacturing process
- Considering the environment when we source packaging.
For example, all Speedo goggles packaging materials are from certified sustainable sources, while footwear, swim caps and other equipment can now be recycled. To package our poolside footwear, we’ve switched from using shoeboxes to lightweight, recycled card hangers, saving around 18 tonnes of cardboard each year. We’ve also made our wristwatch packaging smaller and 88 per cent lighter
- Choosing to ship our products by sea or by road, instead of by air, where possible
- Ensuring excess material and products aren’t wasted. We believe it’s important to reuse as many of our excess products and materials as possible, so we look for new and alternative ways to avoid wastage. This includes donating unsold LZR Racer suits to ethical fashion brand, From Somewhere, and Chelsea College of Art and Design, and donating swimwear to Oxfam’s charity enterprise in Senegal, where it’s re-sold at local markets